Thursday, June 16, 2011

Are You on the Right Road?

Psalm 18:30a
As for God, His way is perfect…


The other day, I was driving to an office that required me to travel down a local interstate and through a long tunnel. As I was approaching the on-ramp for the interstate, I heard a traffic report on the radio claiming that the tunnel was blocked. I quickly altered my route and chose a highway that runs almost parallel to the interstate. As I merged into the highway, the traffic was moving along smoothly, and I was quite happy with myself for avoiding a potential delay in my commute. However, after travelling a few miles, traffic began to slow and soon slowed even more. Before long, I was sitting still on the highway and began wondering if I had made the right decision. It wasn’t long before cars began to move, and I was on my way again, albeit slowly. As I rolled lazily along the road, I passed a part of the highway that crossed over the interstate which I had previously avoided. Looking over to see what would have been my destiny, I saw that the interstate approaching the tunnel was in total gridlock. Not a single car was moving, and the backup did not end for miles. For the remainder of my commute, I relaxed, knowing that even though my drive was not as smooth as I had hoped, I had made the correct decision to avoid the interstate.

In life, we are rarely as fortunate. When we make a decision and proceed down a path, we normally do not have the privilege of looking over to a parallel highway to see if our judgment was correct. Most of the time, when we choose a direction and begin a journey, we are unable to know what might have been if we had chosen differently. We can never really be sure if the path we took was really the best choice.  In fact, when our way becomes difficult to travel or when our progress is slow, we quickly begin to question whether or not we are pursuing right direction.  

So, how can we be sure we are on the right road? Fortunately, God has an answer. Psalm 18:30 says simply, “As for God, His way is perfect…” If we are following God’s Word and living in God’s way, we can be sure that we are headed in the right direction. Even when the way becomes difficult and when things are moving slowly, we can have confidence that we have made the right decision. We do not need to see the other roads around us, nor do we need to trust in our own judgment. When we follow God’s way, we know it is perfect. There is no better road for us to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment